Monday, October 3, 2011

Another great Ken Burn's documentary

Last night I was flipping channels with my remote trying find something to watch because I didn't want to view Sunday Night Football (Jets and Ravens). I guessed I had enough football after witnessing the melt down of my team the Cowboys against the Lions, but that football. I landed on PBS channel 13 in Dallas and watch the latest documentary from Ken Burns's called Prohibtion. The law that prevented the sale and manufacture of alcohol for the entire country.

Watching this program show more than what I learn about this in school, the clash of cultures, races and gender. The show was fun to watch one reason I like how Ken can tell a story and I love history programs. I don't know if Ken is the greatest documentarian but I bet he's in the top five.

A few notes I took from the program, the power of women coming together using their political muscle. This at a time between 1870 to 1920 they did not have the vote, but their victory had half the county with some form of alcohol laws or out right bans on the books before Prohibion.

The birth of the modern day policial action group organize and single minded on one goal, I can see that focus on group today like the Tea Party and ACLU.

I found it amazing how one law destroy the largest industries in the county and I wonder was that one of the causes of the great depression because all of those jobs and investments lost.

The show is well made even doe it slanted to the alcohol wet side, but I think it tries tobe fair on both side wet or dry.

I'm looking forward to see part two next week and if you go to http://www.pbs.org/ you can watch part one.

Lonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment